Welcome back to our four-part article series on the key benefits of dental implants. In our previous post, dental implant specialists in New Jersey explained the key benefits of implants over the conventional approach to replacing single missing teeth with dental bridges. In this article, the third installment of the series, we shall focus on the advantages of dental implants over traditional removable dentures. First, we’ll begin with a look at the breakthrough protocol – the “All-On-4” – recommended to patients who are either already edentulous (don’t have any natural teeth left) or whose dentition is failing and so face an immediate future of edentulism.
About All On Four Dental Implants
The “All-On-4” is a revolutionary dental implant procedure that was innovated in the early 1990’s by Portuguese implant specialist, Dr. Paulo Malo. This procedure is intended to give patients who are edentulous, or whose teeth are failing due to gum disease or decay, a brand new set of teeth, while bypassing the traditional problems and challenges facing prior dental implant procedures. In as little as a single day, with a single surgery, All On Four dental implants can give most patients new, non-removable teeth that work, look, feel and are cared for very much like natural teeth.
How it works is…
“All on four dental implants (hence the name of the protocol) are placed in the upper and/or lower jaw and these implants are used to provide a strong foundation for a complete set of replacement teeth,” explain dental implant specialists in New Jersey. “This comes in the form of a customized prosthetic dental bridge, which is carefully made to closely resemble natural teeth and gums.”
Key Differences between All On Four Dental Implants and Removable Dentures
The key difference between the “All-On-4” and traditional removable dentures is that dentures aren’t fixed in the mouth. Instead, they rely on their bulkiness and the support of the gums to prevent them from falling out. Even then, dentures still do visibly move around when eating or during conversation and because they press down on the gums, they can cause much discomfort and pain. While there are products such as adhesive strips and anesthetic gels available, these represent a repeat expense that patients will have to make as long as they wear dentures.
All On Four dental implants offer the following benefits over dentures:
- They give patients new teeth that are fixed and non-removable,
- The bridge used is slimmer in construction and therefore looks more natural,
- They enable patients to eat most foods and a much wider variety than dentures,
- All On Four dental implants help to preserve jawbone health,
- They rarely require adjusting or repairs and can last a lifetime if cared for properly,
- The All On Four bridge is cleaned similar to natural teeth, i.e. no more removal after meals and at nighttime!
- Common denture problems, such as “denture breath”, gagging, the periodic need for refittings, painful gums and oral sores are a thing of the past,
- The All On Four bridge isn’t bulky and doesn’t cover the hard palate, so it doesn’t impede a patient’s ability to taste their food properly or sense subtleties in its texture and temperature.
Stay Tuned for Part 4…
To find out why dental implant specialists in New Jersey almost always recommend implants over traditional teeth replacement techniques, stay tuned for the final installment of this four-part article series.